THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Amani is accepting applications from families whose scholars will be eligible for fifth, sixth and seventh grade during the 2017-18 school year. The application deadline is 5:00 PM on Monday, April 3, 2017. After that time, you can still apply and your application will be added to our waiting list.
ADMISSION AND THE LOTTERY
Absolute admission preference will be granted in the following manner:
- First preference will be given to returning students, who are automatically assigned a space at Amani.
- Second preference will be given to siblings of students already enrolled in Amani.
- Third preference will be given to applicants whose guardians are full time Amani Public Charter School employees.
- Forth preference will be given to students who reside in Mount Vernon, New York.
- Any remaining slots will be made available to applicants residing outside Mount Vernon.
There are approximately 80 open seats for grade 5, and a smaller number for grades 6 and 7 because most families choose to attend Amani from fifth grade through eighth grade, continuously.
If there are more applicants than available seats, then an open lottery will be held at the school on Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM. Amani is located at 60 South 3rd Avenue, Mount Vernon, NY 10550.
Why is a lottery necessary?
What happens after the lottery?
Following the lottery, all applicants will be notified of their status via mail. Applicants who have been offered a seat will be required to complete an Intent to Enroll Form and to complete additional registration materials by specified deadlines. Applicants who have been placed on the waitlist will be notified in the event that a seat becomes available, and will be given the opportunity to accept an offer of enrollment.
Amani Public Charter School is a public school and does not discriminate in any way, including on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, or disability.